Tuesday 21 February 2017

A Beginner's Guide to NG Railfanning

R secribbling.  I can't get excited about the ironmongery but I do like getting in the middle of a new bunch of people. Because narrow gauge trains serve communities most people on board either know each other or have friends in common. The vibe is very different to other modes of transport. Characters abound and this narrow gauge train had them in spades.  The women all had big sacks and anyone with any English had a go. We have some great conversations re life the universe and the price of fish. On the return journey D caught the attention of a group of ladies, and I don't think it was his hat they were discussing!

An elderly lady at the next station uses a tried and tested British mode of communication on me. She stands close to me and shouts loudly in Gujurati. My lack of comprehension stuns her and she walks away shaking her head and muttering. Glad it's not just us. 

At Dhaboi the platform is filling up with people for.the train to Vadadara and my space on the bench decreases to the point where I give in and make way for a better woman.

A great day out was had, so I'm glad I decided to make the effort. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment